Monday, August 11, 2014

European Highlights - ROME!


Did you know that it has almost been a month since I've been home from Europe. Oh trust me. I am missing it a hell lot.


Rome; the hottest country in Europe. 



Unfortunately the Trevi Fountain was under maintenance and we weren't able to toss our coin into it, so we had to make do and toss our coin into the Piazza Navona Fountain. We had a walking tour of the city and saw some of the sightseeing buildings -- Spanish Steps, Pantheon I was still trudging along even though by this day I was feeling downright horrible. Sickness. I knew I was only going to feel much worse later on. The Pantheon was unfortunately closed when we walked past it around 5pm. I enjoyed watching the street performers busking away and I got yelled at by an Italian for touching his horse. I had no idea what he was saying aye. Evan took us to go see the Piazza Venezia and he was saying how out of place the Altare della Patria is compared to the other famous buildings of Rome. I had to agree with him there. 









Morning after, we had the optional of doing our own thing in the city or join everyone else and go see the Vatican City. I decided to save my money and go exploring instead. This time I had the chance to go inside the Pantheon and did walk past the Trevi Fountain but couldn't see anything because it was all covered up. By the way those cobblestones can really get you tripping over your own feet. By the end of the tour my shoes were all scuffed up. Evan suggested us to go back to the Vatican so he can take us all to his favourite pizza place right around the corner. I decided to be different and buried myself in a tuna pizza. Pizza in Italy!
Next on the agenda was the Roman Forum and the Colosseum. Now walking around all day in heat can get to you after a while and by the time we got into the Colosseum, I was so over it. I was done with the day. I was exhausted and sick as ever. This contiki cough can really bring you down. 

Tip: If you see people dressed up as gladiators outside the Colosseum and want to take a photo with you, they will scam you after.. 20 euros! I saw it happen to so many people.


The Vatican
Tuna Pizza
Roman Forum
The Colosseum



Now, now. Its not Contiki if you don't have a "I Heart Roma" party. That very night, we all wore our I heart roma shirts that we bought during the day and had a party down at the campsite. It was pretty awesome. We had markers and could write whatever we wanted on each others shirts. Definitely a keepsake. 







Next stop: VENICE!





No comments:

Post a Comment