Saturday, July 5, 2014

European Highlights - PARIS

Bonjour et bienvenue à Paris 



Im in Paris! What? How? 

That is the statement I kept asking myself over and over again. It didn't feel real at all. I had to keep reminding myself that, Yes that is the Eiffel Tower right in front of you. Its real! Absolutely so beautiful! I'm finding it hard to describe just how perfect this city is. 

Definitely my favourite city I did visit


6am to be down in the square of the Royal National Hotel did not sound inviting at all. The excitement I endured did not make it hard, however. One of the rules Contiki has is that we don't wait for anyone. So if your late for the bus, you will get left behind and will have to find your own way to the next destination. Everyone was on board, except one. One of the girls alarm did not go off and slept through the phone calls and the knocks on the door. We couldn't wait and had to leave. (It's okay she got to Paris okay after an expensive train ride) I was worried that my suitcase was going to be over the weight limit which is 20kgs, no more. Luckily it weighed in at 16kgs. Yes I can go shopping!! 

Everyone aboard, and off we went. While we were driven around London, Evan gave us the biggest speech of a lifetime and told us everything there is to know about the tour, what to expect, etc. The speech seriously went for over half an hour. As he was explaining what was going to happen when we arrive in France, I could not contain my excitement when he said Tour of Paris by night. Eventually we made it to the White Cliffs of Dover where a "ferry" awaited us, I say it like that cause honestly its a ship not a ferry. A boat that can carry transportation onboard. Ferry to me is a small boat. Anyway, getting sidetracked right here.  On board the boat, it was so crowded and had to work my way through. A bunch of us found a restaurant which was at a reasonable price. While everyone else was having whatever was sold in the food court, we devoured in a breakfast meal. 

White Cliffs of Dover



Hour and a half later we arrived in France. Woohoo! Back on the bus and I don't remember how long it took to get to the hotel but we finally made it. Traffic in Paris is unbelievable. I was scared for the drivers. Got to experience first hand of it after given a quick tour of the city. Also had a taste of escargot, snails, with delicious champagne. Everything is better with champagne I believe. 




Before we arrive at any accommodation, got given a rooming list and get to choose who your roomie will be. No guys and girls together though! Darn it! Couples being an exception. One of the guys on tour was actually meeting us at the hotel in Paris. Got cozy with him during the tour :) uh huh - uh huh. After dumping our bags in the rooms, which by the way those rooms were okay, considering the sink was in the room but it was bunks, double bed on the bottom. Shot gun bottom! 


Next door was a restaurant where we had dinner and they were also playing a soccer game, Germany vs Portugal? Maybe? No? Idk. Someone was playing. A couple of the people on the tour were thinking of going to the Eiffel Tower at night. I was super keen and ended up grabbing a whole bunch of other people to come along with. Hey, why not? This is where we got to experience first hand of the metro in France. I ended up leaving my jacket on the train after I realised how cold it was and then remembering that I did bring a jacket with me. By the time we got to the Eiffel Tower, it was almost closing time of the elevator so we walked up the stairs. Let me tell you, walking up the Eiffel Tower to the second level is exhausting! Feel your legs burn!







 Funny thing, the stairs got locked, so we got locked up on the Eiffel Tower, till realised we had to take the elevator down. Man, those french people are pushy! Midnight snack time! Crepes right in front of the Eiffel Tower. By the way, you got to be careful with those gypsies. They will seriously shove things in your face! It was getting so late and knowing the luck, the metro station where we were got locked up. Taxi!! Had to take two taxis and our cab driver was hilarious! He could speak English and he was being so funny and his driving, omg. There was a posituite on the side of the road and he was pretty much giving a commentary while we watched a guy try to make a deal with her. Had to be there! 



Second day of Paris. Free day! Got on the bus first thing in the morning and got dropped off at the Lourve. So beautiful. Evan was saying that tourists line up at the main entrance of the Lourve but because we are travellers we lined up at the second entrance. Really didn't have to wait in the line for long at all. Also got told that if you were to look at every single painting in the Lourve for 30 seconds each, it will take you 9 months to get through it all. Of course we weren't going to do that. We were on a mad rush to find Mona Lisa. No time was wasted. It was stunning inside though. Every detail! Notre Dame was the next place to visit. Didn't waste any time though and just took a photo of the outside. Eiffel Tower by daylight is still just as beautiful. Since I went up the tower last night, I didn't bother going up it today and the line was just not worth it. 



On the walk towards the Arc de Triumph came across Lamborghini's you can hire to drive. Of course I wasn't going to do that but I did take a photo along side them. I got eyed by the people in charge but I really didn't care. Arc de Triumph is huge and in the centre of probably the busiest roundabout in Paris. What? Do we just walk across the roundabout and hope for the best that we don't get hit? No, no, there are stairs that go underneath and pop out underneath the arc. Stopped for lunch first down the main shopping strip and people watched and gypsy watched. A gypsy was trying to get money off someone else when another random person told the person who was getting "mugged" to not do it its a fraud. And I kid you not, the gypsy got her clipboard and thumped the random person on the head.



If you have ever walked up the Arc de Triumph you would know or your planning to, be warned, its a spiral staircase that just keeps going up and up. I got so dizzy but was worth it in the end to get the most fantastic view of the Eiffel Tower and the whole town. I think its enough sightseeing for the day. Lets go shopping!! Paris is expensive! My god! But I did manage to buy a couple of clothing items from H&M and a few gifts here and there. I was really surprised that the Disney store in Paris didn't have Mickey ears. Had to stop for some Starbucks, yum yum! and watch a street performance. 






Last night in Paris, noooo, had a Tuscan dinner and then a show straight after. A cabaret show  that is. Absolutely amazing. Keep it on the hush, but some parts were boring. More free champagne and some more food and thats the night totally content. 


International wall of love before dinner and cabaret


Next stop Chateau!



No comments:

Post a Comment